Under the agreement, the two governments will increase the validity of journalist visas to one year from the current three months. The authorities will also make such visas eligible for multiple entries, allowing reporters to travel internationally.
The People’s Republic of China has committed to allowing American journalists who are already in the country to “freely depart and return, which they had previously been unable to do,” the State Department official said Tuesday. “We plan to facilitate similar treatment.”
American news organizations affected by the Chinese expulsions included the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.
“We have remained in close consultation with the affected outlets facing personnel shortages, and we are gratified their correspondents will be able to return to the PRC to continue their important work,” said the US State Department official. It is unclear whether the expelled journalists will be able return, or if a new group of reporters will be allowed into China.
“We welcome this progress but see it simply as initial steps,” the US official added. “We will continue to work toward expanding access and improving conditions for US and other foreign media, and we will continue to advocate for media freedom as a reflection of our democratic values.”
China’s state media first reported the journalist visa agreement. It came as a surprise, as a senior Biden administration official told reporters after the leaders’ meeting that this issue did not come up during their conversation.